Sunday, January 22, 2006

The story

Everyone keeps asking for "the story" -how we met, dated, how he proposed. This is the all audiences version, so I'll try to get to specifics for my various markets as I go to press. ;-)

For purposes of our tale he is Kosh and I am Nutella. (Yes, my name is inspired by the hazelnut spread, while his was already part of an online handle he used.)

Halloween 2004.

I was a week shy of my 26th birthday, which was scheduled to be spent in Haiti with my mother, at a mission where she (usually remotely, from Chicago) works.

I had just returned from an overcrowded party where my friends and I knew only the host, and was ready to go to sleep. One last check of my email before bed, though. I'd been using various online dating sites for a couple years, off and on. (In case it isn't obvious, 'off' when I was seeing someone...) I had an ad on The Onion and an ad on OkCupid.

I truly don't remember if anyone else emailed me that day. I suppose I could check. I just know that Kosh sent me one unassuming message, through OkCupid, asking which marathon I was training for.

I replied, and within a few days we were chatting on the phone. Next up: discovering that we knew people in common! I kid you not. They would never have introduced us, though!

I had to head off to Haiti. Kosh was the first, and most consistent writer of those that I hadn't even met! I very much appreciated hearing from him. He even asked me out for when I returned. :-)

Our first date was November 20, 2004. We had dinner at Marmalade Cafe in Sherman Oaks. I had the brisket, he had the ahi. Kosh still has the receipt somewhere! After our first date, I knew that I wanted to see Kosh again, and he told me that he definitely wanted to see me again. I believe the exact words were "If you don't hear from me, call the hospitals, because the only reason I'm not calling is because I've been in an accident." (awww.)

I agreed to stop going out on all those other dates December 8th, and by New Year's Kosh was talking sweet sweet things about future things. Tipsy men!

Fast forward a bit, we flew home to my parents in June to be with my family for my grandparent's 50th' wedding anniversary. Forward a bit more, many of us were together again this Thanksgiving in Phoenix.

Through all of this, we've adopted two cats (Gus and Miette), flown to Ireland for me to run the marathon, and such an assortment of fun trips, days, and time together that it'd be too numerous and nauseatingly sweet to detail here. There's lots of eskimo kisses and "you're the schmoopie."

We had a wonderful, quiet Christmas here in LA. New Year's was equally low key. We've been enjoying baking cookies, making crafty things, all that sort of good stuff.

Then, MLKJr weekend, we were in the car. Phone rings. The exact transcript I believe goes something like this:

Kosh: Hello? Oh, hello.
Phone: murmurmurmurmurmur.
Kosh: Yes. Ok. Uh huh. Great. Yeees.
Phone: MURmurmurmurMURmur!
Kosh: Yes Monday would be better.
Phone: MURMURmurmurmurmur.
Kosh: Ok, bye.

silence.

Eventually me: I suppose I'm not allowed to ask who that was or what's going on?
Kosh: No.

Monday. Wonderful day. Ballroom dancing lesson! Fabu day! Dinner at a gorgeous restaurant. Oh, so romantic! But, sadly, the day ends without ring or asking. (I later find out that there has been a tragic delay! Yes! It WAS supposed to be Monday!)

Tuesday. Unbeknownst to me, Kosh has the ring. However, I have a fever. So there's a no go! I'm finally well enough on Thursday that Kosh and I plan to see the gorgeous Hammer museum exhibition of cartoon art. Work is stressful, though, and I am wiped out. I call Kosh and ask if it's ok if I just meet him later. He is surprisingly relaxed and ok with this in retrospect.

Kosh calls and asks if I want to go out to dinner. I am ready to put on pj's and go to sleep, but my spidey sense says "say ok!" so I do. He arrives shortly thereafter, and seems... really energetic. He's standing in the middle of the living room, and I get up and he starts telling me how much he loves me, I say that I love him too. This goes back in forth a couple times. I'm about to comment that the cat is being really cute, but again, my spidey sense say "be quiet!" so I am. Which is when Kosh pulled out the box from the jeweler's, asked, I said "oh my god" (or something similar, I'll have to ask him!) I know for sure that I said "yes!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home