Wednesday, February 08, 2006

People *Do* This?

I just finished slogging through one of the many wedding guides on the market. This one purports to "help brides save money and have the wedding they want" (they always help brides, never grooms... hmmm).

Well, hundreds of helpful tips later, having already been 90% sure that we were opting out of the traditional ceremony and reception in church and hotel in Large American City, I was 100% sure.

I know it's what works best for many. But I couldn't imagine having to negotiate with caterers to have them serve my friends and family $60 chicken, a dj to NOT play Butterfly Kisses, and a hotel coordinator to get them to reduce that cake cutting fee from $3 a slice all the way down to $1.50.

We're not eloping. Not at all. But I am opting out of the hoopla.

Next up: avoiding dress hoopla!

2 Comments:

Blogger The Bon said...

I've also decided to opt out of most of the hoopla. I was lucky enough that a friend of my boy's mom owns an absolutely stunning oak grove and they're letting us use it for free! i can't imagine spending the kind of money that a lot of people do on weddings.

5:31 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Good for you!

We had a very low key wedding, and it was still sort of stressful. I don't know how people manage the big ones, no wonder that lady ran away! ;-)

If it hasn't started already, you'll find that everyone has an opinon on how you should do things. Stick to your guns! Just remember, this is the couple's special day, and everyone else can do their own day their own way!

12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home